God is more present to me lately in my work than when I am kneeling in the Church pew. Surprised? Probably not. This is where faith is tested -- where the rubber hits the road so to speak. And sometimes I hear His voice and respond and many other times I fail.
But I like the challenge of this. Of trying to treat every individual with the kindness and the attention that Christ gave to those in need when He was with us on earth. He continues to reach out to us everyday, but especially when we call on Him in prayer. Prayer is my first priority in each and every day and that is another challenge (for another blog.)
Being honest, hard working and trying to help my clients to succeed in their businesses is what I am being asked to do in my apostolic work. I see the act of service in this (even if I am getting paid) and I see how hard it is ... and this is really the core of it ... to stay humble and servant-natured and to do this to glorify God and not to glorify myself.
Can I walk away from my writing business? Is it apostolic work or does it define me? Happily, if God asks me to leave tomorrow, I feel that I could and I would. (If He asks me today, I might need to finish the paragraph I am working on at that moment.)
First, I am a child of God and then I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I am then a writer. There can be no other order. There is no peace with messed up priorities. There can be no love when our love is misplaced from God and people to things, stuff and our own goals.
Thankfully, God places people and events in our lives to serve as reminders when we begin to fall away from His will. When love for others rolls into self love. If we stay close to Him in prayer and in the Sacraments, He brings us back to reality and to what really matters: His will for our lives. Lord, this is all I ask: to know and do Your will.
